Supporters donate funds to The Friends for a wide variety of reasons.
They may wish to say a "thank you" for the care they or a relative has received at the hospital or to commemorate the passing of a friend or relative.
Many donate as they believe that the work that The Friends do, and the way they use donations, is a great way of showing appreciation for the volunteers and the staff at the hospital - as well as improving the patient experience at the hospital.
Supporters can choose to:-
- Leave a legacy to the charity - this is one of our most significant sources of income as over the years since the Charity was founded approximately half of the Charity's funds have been provided through the generosity of personal legacies
- Open a Supporters Account (St Cross) at the Coventry Building Society
- donate online through our page on BT's Mydonate website where you can make either regular or one off donations or set up a fundraising page for any sponsored activity you are taking part in.
- send a cheque made out to 'The Friends of St Cross' and post it to the address shown on our Contact Us page
- complete a standing order form to make regular contributions from your bank
- deposit cash in one of the cylinders located in Out Patients, The Friends Blood Taking Unit or the Poplar Cafe at the hospital or in collecting tins in various shops and public houses around the town
If you are a UK tax payer then the value of the donation can be increased by 25% by ticking BOTH boxes in the online form or by completing a Gift Aid Declaration form when posting a cheque or standing order form to our office at St Cross.
The Charity welcomes requests for equipment from any of the services based in Rugby at the Hospital of St Cross, the Community Services based at the Orchard Centre or the Mental Health Services based at The Railings.
Requests for equipment for services located outside Rugby will not be considered, nor does the Charity's constitution cover the provision of equipment for GP surgeries or optometrists.
We encourage requests for items that
- Improve patient and staff comfort or safety
- Enable treatments that are currently only available outside the Borough to be delivered in Rugby so that Rugby Residents do not have to travel
- Promote an increase in the number of patients that can be treated at St Cross
- Reduce waiting times for patients at St Cross
- Enhance the patient experience or service in any other way not mentioned above
The scale and timing of these requests vary and so it is our preference that donations are held as unrestricted funds. However, in 2016 we adopted a policy that both respects donors’ desire to make donations for a specific purpose or department and that funds should not lie unused for a pro-longed period.
The policy is that any donations received for a specific purpose in one year must be spent, or committed to an approved request, by the 31st December of the following year or will be re-allocated to the general funds available to meet requests for equipment or support for projects.
You can also support The Friends with an instant access savings account with more than your interests at heart.
The Friends have been working with the Coventry Building Society to help raise funds for our work at the Hospital of St. Cross and we're delighted to offer you an exclusive savings account - the Supporters Account (St Cross).
By opening a Supporters Account (St Cross) you’ll receive interest on your savings and the Coventry Building Society will also make a donation to the Friends of St. Cross. Each year the Society will donate (without attributing an amount to a specific account holder) a sum based on the balances invested in all accounts which support the Friends of the Hospital of St Cross. The sum is calculated by adding together the balances held on the last day of the month and dividing that total by 12. This calculation is repeated for each of the 12 months of the year and the totals are then added together and multiplied by 1% to produce the donation figure for the year. For the purposes of the calculation, the year starts on 1 October and finishes on 30 September.
You receive interest on your savings with the Coventry, and at the same time you’re helping to support a very worthy local charity. So while your money earns interest for you, it's also earning a donation for the Friends.
In December 2017 the Coventry presented a cheque for £23,909 taking the total that the Friends have received this way to an amazing £216,293.
If you like the idea of helping us to help you, then Supporters Account (St Cross) could be the perfect savings account - find out more here.
To apply to open this account call into the Rugby Branch of the Coventry or simply click on this link find ‘Friends of the Hospital of St Cross’ in the list and request an application pack.
Coventry Building Society is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority (firm reference number 150892 www.fca.org.uk).
Coventry Building Society. Registered Office: Economic House, PO Box 9, High Street, Coventry CV1 5QN.