This facsimile of one of the indentures which sets out the initial funding and management arrangements for running of The Hospital of Holy Cross is located on one of the walls of the Octapus centre.


The Founders of the Hospital were Richard Henry Wood and his wife Elizabeth Wood (nee Hatton).


This article contains a selection of photos dating from the early 1900's and obtained from various sources.


Born in May 1861, Mrs. Mary Venetia James, née Cavendish-Bentinck, was the daughter of the Rt Hon George Cavendish-Bentinck and great granddaughter of the third Duke of Portland, who was viceroy of Ireland. She was also Godmother to Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother).


The hospital was opened in July 1884 as the result of the generosity of Richard Henry Wood and his wife Elizabeth. Mr Wood was a wealthy man who came to Rugby around 1874 and donated 3 parcels of land and the funds to build the original building on Barby Road.